Hey Friends. I’m Back!
I know, it’s been a long time. I’ve been meaning to write something for a while but so many things kept pushing it back. When I started this blog, in 2018, I was in a place mentally where I needed an outlet and a distraction from everything I was feeling and thinking. Blogging provided that. As I began to improve mentally and find joy in the real world again, blogging started to feel more like a job than an outlet. But over the last several months, I have been feeling like the universe was telling me that it was time to pick it back up, not as an outlet this time, but as a tool to help others. I have been amazed by the number of people who told me that my blog helped them or that my story was inspiring. It wasn’t intended for that purpose but I am so glad it has morphed into that. I am excited to continue to share my story and use it to help others.
So here’s a little update on where I’ve been and what I’ve been up to in 2019:
- I have an amazing job doing event planning, PR, and public engagement. It was never the field I saw myself working in but I am so grateful that it fell into my lap. I got a promotion at the beginning of the year and a significant raise at the end of the year. I love my job and I am excited to keep learning and growing.
- I became a Big Sister at Big Brothers Big Sisters. I just met my little for the first time last week and I’m so excited for our future adventures together. She’s 14 and a high school freshman. I purposely requested a high schooler because I know how tough teenage years and high school can be and I don’t think teenagers can ever have too much support. I hope that we grow to have an amazing relationship.
- I joined a new church and started singing on the worship team. I have always loved worship. It’s always been my favorite part of church service so I love getting to be on stage leading others into worship and helping to usher the presence of God into the service. And I’ve met some amazing people along the way too!
- I developed a new relationship with my grandma. I moved in with my grandma last November and it was supposed to only be for 6 months so that I could save up for my next move in life. Well in that process, my family and I determined that Grandma benefitted from having someone else there to help out around the house and keep an eye on her so we decided that I would stay until my mom was able to move in permanently in May 2020. This last year living with my grandma has been full of growth, laughter, and lots of love. My grandma and I are closer than we have ever been in life and she has become one of my best friends. I just love her to pieces!
- I turned 30! (Well, almost). My thirtieth birthday is on December 26. I have been dreading turning thirty for most of the last year. I felt disappointed that I wasn’t where I thought I should be by thirty- marriage, children, home ownership, financial stability. But recently, I have come to embrace what turning 30 at this time means. I am entering a new decade of life at the same time that the world is entering a new decade. It’s a time of new beginnings, of refreshing old ways and patterns, of setting new goals and sowing new seeds. I am excited to see what my thirties has in store for me. It is sure to be a big decade for sure.
- I’m still seeing my therapist monthly. Even though I am in a WHOLE lot better place mentally now, it is still so helpful to have that monthly check in with my therapist to make sure I’m still on the right track and to help me sort through life’s daily struggles. I think of it as a monthly tune up. My therapist and I are almost three years in the game and she continues to be an integral part of my life.
Thank you so much for taking the time to read my blog, for your encouraging responses, and for sticking with me while I figure out this thing called life. I have so much to share and I can’t wait for you to read it. More to come soon, I promise. Til then, Happy Holidays!
Leave a Reply